Sunday, September 13, 2009

What the Forks?

Since we've lived in Seattle I have wanted to take Brent to the Olympic Peninsula. It's one of the most gorgeous places I've ever seen and where else can you go from the mountains to the beach to a real rainforest in just an hour?? So we decided we were going over Labor Day weekend.

We drove over on Sunday and were planning coming home Monday night. Pets are allowed at the Forks Motel, so the puppies came with us. Our first stop after we got off the ferry was Hurricane Ridge. This is what you're supposed to see when you are there. And this is what we saw.
Next we drove around Lake Crescent which my family calls "Puke Lake" because of how sick you feel after you drive around it from all the twists and turns.Brent got tired of driving and I didn't want to, so we decided now was a good time for Chip to learn.
Next we went to the Hoh Rainforest. I know that it's called a RAINFOREST but it rained like I haven't seen it rain forever. This was the view from our sunroof.
We got out for 5 seconds because of the downpour, but then saw a sign that pets aren't allowed on the trail so we got back in the dry car.
By this point I was pretty frustrated. I wanted the weekend to be perfect and it only had clouds and rain. But Brent thought it was funny and said we could go back some other time so that made me feel better.
After the rainforest we checked into our hotel. Macie refused to eat her food so she made herself sick from not eating. Then Chip decided he forgot he was potty trained and pooped on the floor of the hotel (and this is why you ALWAYS wear something on your feet in hotel rooms!!!).
Around 8:00pm Brent said he wasn't feeling too well. He ran to the bathroom and started projectile vomiting across the room. After he was done I ran in and started throwing up, too. Lucky for me once I threw up I felt better. Brent, on the other hand, did not. He was up the entire night throwing up. Around midnight (after we still hadn't slept) we decided to leave at 2:30am and just take the ferry back early so we didn't hit Labor Day traffic.
The rest of the night for me was spent puppysitting while poor Brent was sick. Chip was so curious about everything and even hopped into the tub at one point. We got a quick picture at about 3:00am as we were headed home.
Needless to say our Labor Day was super lame. I was so upset that we went all that way and didn't even get to see the ocean! I was pouting for a few hours, but now we can laugh about it :) The highlight of the drive home was that Brent threw up as we were driving around Lake Crescent so now it really is Puke Lake!

3 comments:

Brent said...

Thanks for taking such good care of me. We will never forget that trip. Nothing went right!

Fernando Camilo said...

I think Lake Crescent is one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. Can and I did the Forks, Hoh Rain Forest trip last year and had a blast. Sorry Brent got sick. That must have sucked!!

kristen said...

That picture of Chip is probably my favorite picture of a dog ever.

I LOOOOOOVE Lake Crescent and the Rainforest also!!! My favorite places in Washington, probably even the World :) Hope Brent feels better!