Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I'm never going to be like my mom...



Oh yes I am! I always said this growing up, but as I get older I am more like her every single day (and I do NOT think this is a bad thing!!).

There were many things that my mom did and said to me when I was little that I vowed I would NEVER do to my kids. Like grounding. There was nothing I hated more than being grounded. And it really seemed like I was grounded all the time (I wasn't a bad kid. But I did do stupid stuff sometimes. Like getting two tickets in 5 months. And hiding my 7th grade report card because I got a C). But now as I'm older I will TOTALLY ground my kids when they deserve it. So there you go mom, 1 point you.

Another thing she used to tell me had to do with Santa. And I will do this to my kids (to an extent). The night before Christmas or Easter she would tell me if I didn't do my chores SUPER well, Santa or the Easter Bunny would not come. Cruel, maybe. But it WORKED. The stairs in our house were never vacuumed better than the night before a holiday. She also used to tell me that if I got out of bed at night to go to the bathroom and Santa was there, he would leave. I'm sure this was just because she knew I wouldn't get out of bed if I thought this. Well I vividly remember cracking my door open and yelling down into the living room, "SANTA. I AM NOT PEEKING. I JUST HAVE TO PEE REALLY REALLY BAD!". And then squeezing my eyes as tight as I could and crashing my way down the hallway until I got to the bathroom. I'll probably use the chore one, but I might modify the bathroom one so my kids don't show up on Christmas morning with a black eye from crashing into something they didn't see because their eyes were shut out of sheer terror of Santa leaving.

My mom also taught me never to drink and drive. 1 point mom. But minus one point mom because she didn't tell me she meant ALCOHOL. Driving to the grocery store was one of the most stressful times for me when I was little because I was so scared my mom was going to get pulled over for drinking in the car. When I teach my kids this, I will make sure to tell them that Diet Coke is an OK thing to drink while you are driving.

The last thing I remember my mom telling me is something I will definitely NOT do with my kids. She told me that every time I told a lie, I got a black dot on my spirit. This scared me soooo much. When I would lie she would look at me and tell say, "You just got a black dot on your spirit." And I remember crying because I was so scared I had more black than white on my spirit and I was going to hell. And then when I got a little older I figured that I was a lost cause and already had more black dots than white so I should just go ahead and lie.

So yeah. I vowed to never be like my mom. But the older I get I realize that I am already so much like her (and I don't even have kids yet). So I'm not going to lie, I know I'm a mini version of my mom and that my kids will probably say the same thing about not wanting to be like me when they are young (plus I don't want to lie anyway. I don't need another black dot).

4 comments:

Alycia said...

That was really entertaining! I'm a lot like my mom too... I have to say so because I don't want a black dot on my spirit either. :)

Bitter Larry said...

That was an awesome post!

Korry.Taffee.Jaci.Milo said...

I really enjoyed this post:):) We need to meet your mom!! I bet she is pretty rad!

Sharee said...

Love it! She sounds funny. I have noticed that I do things that my mother would do that drove me crazy when I was younger... now those things I really think made her a great mom.