Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Holy Moley

My junior and senior years of high school and my sophomore, junior and part of my senior years of college were spent with me being addicted to something. TANNING. I went all the time. I was addicted to the warm, relaxing feeling you get when you are laying there. And I loved being tan! I mean, lets be honest, who doesn't look better tan? In my first passport picture I had been going so much at the time I actually looked like I was Mexican (I'm not even exaggerating).

Finally after starting to have dreams about getting skin cancer I decided to quit. It was nice to have more money to spend on other things (tanning is expensive!!) but I still always was paranoid about having skin cancer. This past season on Grey's Anatomy (spoiler alert!) one of the main characters gets a mole removed and finds out she has skin cancer that turned into liver and brain cancer. A little extreme, yes. But I finally decided once and for all to go to the dermatologist.

I got there and didn't know what to expect. I'm glad that I have been going through all this fertility crap because let me tell you, this was just as violating. Except now I'm used to people looking at places that are covered by a bathing suit (well as used to it as you'll ever get). And I'm so glad I had a woman dermatologist. Yikes. That would have been awkward.

She found one mole that she thought looked scary and a few more that we have to watch during my yearly skin exams (yay, I get to do this every year). So they gave me a shot to numb me up (this was the worst part of the whole thing) and they cut the mole out. I got to see it after they were done cutting it out. It was pretty cool, and less gross than I thought it would be. I got three stitches and was sent on my way.

So the moral of the story is that being tan is NOT worth it. I was lucky enough that my mole they removed wasn't cancerous. But it could have been. And it's ridiculous that I spent all that money on something that could have killed me.


I was a little bummed that they only removed one mole. Mostly because if they had removed a lot, I wanted to be this guy for Halloween.

2 comments:

Bitter Larry said...

I need to go do that... I need to just bite the bullet and go do it.

Korry.Taffee.Jaci.Milo said...

You are an inspiration.. I LOVEd laying out too BUT after I got married I decided it wasn't worth it any longer. Im glad we can be pale together:):) Two thumbs up to you for being tough enuf to go to the dermo:)