Sunday, May 16, 2010

Reason #15,294 I enjoy being a housewife

Because when your mom asks you on Wednesday afternoon if you want to go hiking on Friday, you can say YES!


Growing up my parents took us on a lot of vacations and we saw a lot of cool stuff. The only problem was that 99% of the time it was somewhere that had to deal with nature. I complained the entire time when I was younger, but now that I'm getting old I'm starting to appreciate the stuff I used to whine about.

We went to Lake 22 (what a random name for a hike) in the Mt. Baker National Forest. It was 5 1/2 miles round trip, which meant I got to see a ton of cool stuff AND I got to count it as my workout for the day!
So green and northwesty!
There were soooo many waterfalls since we went early in the hiking season
It looked like you could potentially see a cool view to a waterfall so I sent my mom over to check it out :) she said it wasn't worth it so I just waited until she got back
You hike up through a forest for a while and then it opens up to a steep field you hike up
Finally to the top!  At the top we had to hike through snow!
Pictures can't do it justice.  It was so beautiful!
Stopping for lunch!
Most of the lake was still frozen over
There were a TON of waterfalls from all the melting snow when we got to the top

One of the coolest parts was that since it was getting warm all the snow was melting and there were avalanche warnings.  We weren't close enough to have to worry about anything, but we got to hear FOUR avalanches when we were relaxing at the top!  It sounded like a gun shot and then you could hear a little rumble.  The best part was we actually SAW one of them!  In this picture I saw snow rolling down through the trees and it ended up coming out at the bottom where it opens up and there is the snow pile.  SOOOO crazy!
My mom had hiking shoes and I just had my Nike's so I sent her first in case she fell through the snow.  There was one point where the snow was melting below but it seemed thick enough to walk across.  My mom cruised across and when it was my turn I slipped and fell in the snow.  Whoops.  When I tried to get up I picked a bad spot to put my foot and it went straight through the snow into the little stream of freshly melted snow.  So freaking cold!
The hole my foot made is to the right of my knee.  Mom laughed.  A lot.  But only once she realized I was ok :) I didn't mind since I laughed, too!

I had so much fun and I can't wait to see what other nature adventures we can go on this summer!

2 comments:

Diane said...

I'm so glad you gave me a link to your blog!

I've never been on a hike like that in Washington. So gorgeous.

I just spent the last hour looking at your blog. I love it! And I realized several things: we have the same car (in silver too, although I think yours is a darker shade), we recently went on a cruise too (although it looks like you guys had WAY more fun than we did), and we're surrounded by friends who all have kids, while we remain childless. You however are lucky enough to have pets. Fernando won't have anything to do with it.
And I totally agree with you about Nutella and PB.

chuck said...

"Growing up my parents took us on a lot of vacations and we saw a lot of cool stuff. The only problem was that 99% of the time it was somewhere that had to deal with nature. I complained the entire time when I was younger, but now that I'm getting old I'm starting to appreciate the stuff I used to whine about."

Heheheh... :-)
You're welcome.