Sunday, April 19, 2009

My little racist

I know, how can something that is black, white, and brown be racist? But let me explain. My friend Kristen got a Mini Australian Shepherd on Valentines Day and she asked me if Macie and I wanted to do a puppy play date with them this past week. I was super excited to meet her puppy Ellie and to see Kristen, but I was nervous about Macie. She HATES other dogs. If we are driving past other dogs she growls. If we are at a pet store she growls at the other dogs. The only dogs she semi-tolerates are our friends full grown Australian Shepherds (and when I say tolerate I mean she lets them get within 5 feet without bearing her fangs like she's a wolf). So needless to say I was worried.

I kept telling Macie all week, "You're going to meet another mini this week! Her name is Ellie and you need to be nice." Well Thursday came and we went to Juanita Beach Park in Kirkland to have our play date. Before we went to the beach we stopped by my moms to say hi. Of course Macie growled at Zoe (my moms dog) while we were there, even though she sees Zoe all the time. Things weren't looking good.

When we got to the beach I was really nervous when I saw Kristen pull up. I got Mace out of the car and when Ellie got out and walked up to Macie, Macie sniffed her! Then she did that gross social butt sniff dogs like to do. Then she sniffed her face. !!!! No growling, no showing her vicious fangs, no barking. I was beyond shocked!

Anyway while we were there at least 4 other dogs of all shapes and sizes came up to say hello to Macie and Ellie. Every single dog that came up to Macie either got barked or growled at. But still, she was nice to Ellie! I just couldn't believe it. After thinking about it for a while I finally came to the conclusion that my dog is unfortunately a little racist. She won't put up with any other dogs unless they are Australian Shepherds and she won't actually interact and get along with any unless they are Mini Australian Shepherds. I think after I post a couple pictures of the play date I'm going to get Macie and read some of Martin Luther King Jr.'s speeches. You need to start somewhere...
Hey! You look like me!

I think I might like you!
I'm having fun mom!


No growling here!

Ellie liked playing in the sand

1 comment:

kristen said...

I like your pictures better than mine :) And your post made me laugh! We'll have to do that again!!!