Sunday, May 31, 2009

Take THAT, HOA!

On Wednesday Brent and I got a letter from our Home Owners Association that said that we were in trouble because of the weeds in our yard. Huh? Our yard looked fine! We were so mad because our yard looked like everone elses in our neighborhood! Well it turns out that a ton of other people got letters, too. So we didn't feel as bad after we found that out. But still, no one tells me my yard sucks and gets away with it!


So on Thursday I woke up early and went to a place called Flower World. It's basically a place that is the size if Disneyland, but with all flowers and plants. They actually give you a map when you get there so you won't get lost. I walked in the door and stood there for a minute comtemplating if I actually wanted to go farther in or if I was just going to go home. Well, I got my bearings a little and ventured into the place. I ended up finding some super cute bushes to replace the ones that died because of the awful winter we had. I'm going to go back next week to get more for the backyard!


Here are some before pictures of our front yard.





Of course I had my helpers. They sat in the window the whole day!
Macie even wanted in on the action!
I had no idea how hard it was to dig up a bush! After I got this thing out I thought it looked like something that Harry Potter should be fighting! When I started I was so grossed out by the worms, beetles, centipedes, and snails that I saw. But by the end I was ignoring them! I did get grossed out when I found 1/2 a worm though (I guess my shovel got the other half!)
The three bushes I had to tear out
Supervising
There was a bush in our backyard that has been dead since we moved in so I got a little one to replace it. I thought it was so cute!
Finished product! This little bush was probably my favorite. It's so pretty!
Yay!
I also got a hanging basket at Flower World! We had gotten a hook a couple weeks back but waited to get one so Brent didn't accidentally kill it while I was in New York. Well the hook we got was too flimsy and when I hung the basket on it, it completely bent over! So off to Home Depot I went covered in dirt and all. I felt pretty hardcore going to the store like that!


Happy camper that her mommy is done!
I wanted to sit outside and just stare at our yard for the rest of the night. All of that work (plus an unexpected trip to Home Depot) took me 7 hours! Needless to say, I couldn't move the next day :)
Up next: The backyard!!

7 comments:

Brianne Heiner said...

It looks so good! Those bushes do look mean....

Holly-O said...

the yard looks amazing! awesome job!

Brent said...

I appreciate all the hard work you do at the house! Now hopefully Prograss can help our grass look green.

kristen said...

Nice job! I love that Macie and the kitties supervised :)

Fernando Camilo said...

Nice job. We should hire you to come do our yard.

Korry.Taffee.Jaci.Milo said...

You guys did some good work.. soooooooooooo when you come visit... maybe we can get your input on making our yard AWESOME!! We cannot wait to see you guys!!

Korry.Taffee.Jaci.Milo said...

HEY!! Can you txt me.. My phone broke and now i don't have your number :( I thought I new your number SOOOO I txt you and got a reply from a stranger..haha