Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cruise Day 2, St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands

We woke up early and were ready to roll!  We went up to the top of the ship and saw the most beautiful views.  As soon as I saw it all, I wanted to move here.  But then as the trip went on, I wanted to move to all the different places we went :)
We had our first excursion in the morning, parasailing.  Now, if you ever have the opportunity to do this, GO.  It is NOT scary at all.  It is absolutely amazing.  I'm even pretty scared of heights, but it didn't affect me at all.  There were 4 of us in our group and the guys that were taking us kept asking if we were nervous.  The funny thing was that I wasn't at all!  Not even butterflies!  I was just super excited.  Maybe I was destined to be an extreme sports kind of girl!

I love how concerned my cute husband looks in this picture
We got up to 350 feet.  You can go as high as 600, depending on the winds and weather.  I'm glad we didn't get THAT high!
When everyone finished, they asked who wanted to drive the boat back.  Brent jumped at the chance.
He did great and the guy told him, "Ok now you're going to park it."  Instantly my blood pressure went up 20 points because I had visions of owing the parasailing company thousands of dollars to fix the side of their boat.  Well Brent just manuvered the boat in there like he'd been a little sailor boy all his life.  I was VERY impressed!

After parasailing we went into the main town for shopping!  I learned my new favorite phrase on this trip.  DUTY FREE.  It's awesome!  Let's say Brent was going to get me a necklace at a jewelry store in Seattle.  Well they had that same jewelry store in St. Thomas, and even though the necklace was the same price, there wasn't tax!  So we saved a good chunk on taxes!  Brent ended up getting a sweet watch and I got a necklace and some earrings.  I love duty free shopping!!!

We also found the best chocolate I've ever eaten.  And I have eaten a lot of chocolate in my day!  We walked around a few other stores and Brent was very patient while I tried on rings.  I was just having fun and trying on the bling-iest ring I could find.  I tried on one that was $32,000!!  The funny thing is that I actually like how mine looks on me better than that one did.  Still, it was pretty funny that the sales guy was like, "Ok well that's the retail price but I can give it to you for $25,000!" Um, yes sir you could.  And I could also buy a car for that.

After shopping we walked around and explored the island.
A view of our ship
We walked up a bunch of stairs to Blackbeards Castle.  The castle was closed that day, but we got close enough to see the tower.

We walked around a little more and then headed back to the ship.  We had to get ready for the SUPERBOWL! 

That night they had a big Superbowl party in the theater on the ship.  They had two sides, one decorated for the Saints, and one for the Colts.  Brent wanted the Colts and I didn't care, so we sat in the middle.  They gave away a bunch of football related prizes and threw out some stuff to the audience.  I caught some beads (I didn't even have to show anything to get them!) and Brent caught a mini football.
We got back to our room after the game and this was waiting for us on the bed:

How cute is that??  Alan, our stateroom attendant, was one talented guy!  And yes, those my sunglasses :)

Up next: St. Croix!

2 comments:

The Aprecios said...

so far, so jealous.

kristen said...

I love this post!!! Even just day 1 sounds amazing and if you weren't scared by parasailing then I'm totally gonna have to go, cuz that means I won't be scared either!!!