Saturday, February 20, 2010

Cruise Day 4, St. Kitts

Today was my first day in a foreign country other than Canada.  Crazy!!!  We had no plans so we decided to walk in to town and see what kind of tours they had going on.  We were walking towards the tour center when a local stopped us and said he had a minibus tour that was $20 a person.  In the tour center it was $60 a person.  Hmm.... that's a lot of shopping I could do with the difference!  As we walked toward the minibus and the other tourists (the part in New Moon where all the tourists are taking a tour of the Volturi castle before they ended up being vampire lunch did cross my mind for a split second...) it seemed legit. 
We drove around the entire island with a few stops along the way.  At one stop a local opened the van door (I was the one sitting right next to the door so I could have been the first victim), but I ended up being the one that lucked out!  Because this guy jumped into my lap!

I got to get out of the van and hold the little guy for a couple minutes.  He was sooooo soft and cute.  And he had a diaper on so I didn't have to worry about any unwanted bodily fluids on my shirt.  Brent was prepared with Purell when I got back in the van and instantly told me, "We are not getting one."  Part of his argument was that we don't even know what to feed it, but them I reminded him that he'll be fine because monkeys eat bananas! :)   This was pretty much the highlight of the day for me and I couldn't stop giggling after holding him.
After that we stopped at some beautiful gardens that had a view of the rainforest on the island
I know we have a rainforest in Washington, but this was a hardcore rainforest! And it was my kind of rainforest because they don't have any snakes on St. Kitts!
Another pretty overlook we stopped at.  This is the Atlantic Ocean side of the island.  Our guide told us that you can't swim in it because there are a ton of sharks. 
Our next stop was at the Black Rock Cliffs.  These rocks were formed by the volcanoes on the island.
Our last stop of the tour was at the beach.  We were here for an hour.  Since we were fried from the day before we couldn't go out in the sun.  But we got to sit on a picnic table and eat lunch and have this view for an hour!
We both ordered a grilled cheese sandwich.  Now, I don't know about you but it takes me about 5-10 minutes to make 2 grilled cheese sandwiches.  Well on St. Kitts they don't move very fast because it took 45 minutes for ours to come.  I guess when you live on the island you just relax! 

The tour took 4 hours and it was so fun to get to see another country/culture.  Later that night this guy was sitting on our bed:
Next blog: Dominica!

No comments: