Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Floating Down a River in the Middle of January

Two Saturdays ago my mom organized a float trip down the Skagit River to see the eagles.  This is the time of year where they're around and you can see hundreds of eagles during your trip.

There were 12 of us in our group (11 of who do crew with my mom.  I was the odd man out).  We got all bundled up and ready to go and got on a bus that took us to the river!


I haven't worn a life jacket forever.  Well let me tell you.  They tighten up those things until you feel like you have a corset on.  I should have let all my breath out like horses do while their getting their saddle put on because I had a hard time breathing after that. 
Cute mom is ready to float the river!

They had two types of rafts.  One that the guide paddled for you, so you have a relaxing float down the river.  Or they have the kind you could paddle yourself.  I was all for the guide paddling, but I was definitely in the minority.  That'll teach me to go rafting with a bunch of rowers :)

Our guide ended up being hilarious.  He said the most eagles he had ever seen was about 600.  He said it was kind of eerie and they were everywhere you looked.  Well, we saw about 10.  Even though we didn't see too many, we still had a blast goofing off and paddling ourselves down the river.


One of the other downfalls of being in the paddle boat was they all do this at least 2 times a week.  I do not.  My arms felt like they were detatching from my body halfway through the trip.

A nest.  After I saw how big they really are, I learned I will never let Macie anywhere an eagle might be.  She would be a goner!
One of the guys we saw.  There was one that actually scooped down and grabbed a fish in the river.  So cool!
In this picture I have on EIGHT (no exaggeration) layers on my top and four on the bottom.  I was lucky I wore so much because even then I was chilly!
We all had so much fun.  The guide also does white water rafting in the summer and now my mom is planning on some trips to go do that.  Thanks for the fun day momma!

3 comments:

Korry.Taffee.Jaci.Milo said...

WOW! That sounds SOOOOO COOL! Im a tid bit jealous:) I LOVE the pictures! WHAT A COOL MAMA!

Bitter Larry said...

Very cool... and yeah, the eagles I've seen close up at the zoo were huge (and on a river in Oregon). Awesome you saw one grab a fish (except for the fish - it was lame for him).

Sharee said...

That looks like a fun activity.. i just read all about your eye doctor appointment, thanks I really needed a good laugh. I thought it was hilarious! "Cover your right eye, no your other right eye." Gosh dang that was funny!!